Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Defining moments

JayG has a post about the Challenger disaster. I was only 3.5 years old, so I didn't understand the significance at the time, and therefore don't have a specific memory. This got me thinking about what defining events I do remember.

On September 11, 2001, I got an IM from high school friend Matt K. telling me to turn on the TV, a plane had just crashed into the World Trade Center. He'd been drunk IMing me all sorts of inane blather recently, so I assumed he was still drunk from the night before or something. Eventually his sober seeming command of the English language convinced me he was serious. I went down and turned on the TV in my campus apartment in time to see the second plane hit.

I went to my first class of the day, and Professor Selkow tried to go on and teach but most of the class's brains were elsewhere. (Selkow's brain was elsewhere all the time.) Classes were cancelled at noon and the staff set up a few big TVs in the campus center for people to watch the news.

A group of us went to Newbury Comics to pick up They Might Be Giants' album Mink Car which was released that day. I guess it was an attempt to preserve some sense of normalcy. An Ellis Paul concert that evening that I had been looking forward to was postponed. When it was rescheduled in January, Paul's guitar sported its now trademark "Anti-Terror Machine" (a reference to Paul's idol Woody Guthrie).


The other event I can place is the beginning of Desert Storm on January 16th, 1991. (I had to look up the date, but I remembered it was a Wednesday in January.) I was at choir practice at church. Dr Lutz (our pastor) came in and interrupted our practice to tell us that they had just started bombing Iraq.


It's interesting that so many of our moments like this are negative. The biggest one for my parents generation was the JFK assassination. JayG is between my parents and me, and his was the Challenger disaster. Mine (though it applies just as much to Jay and my parents) was 9/11/01. Going back to my grandparents generation, it was Pearl Harbor.

Will I ever have a a positive moment like this? My parents generation had the Apollo 11 landing. My mom heard it on the radio, as she was on a camping trip. I'm not sure what the positive moment could possibly be for me. Hopefully I'll get one someday.

39 comments:

doubletrouble said...

Well, I've been around since the JFK thing (in jr. high), & typically all the things we remember as "defining" are unfortunate news events.

Have you married?
Had a child?
Gotten the best job on the planet?

These too are defining events, but we seldom focus on the good events in our lives, only the tragic. It's our nature, I'm guessing.

Glad to see you back!

Cheers...

wv: comanch- isn't that what John Wayne used to call his Indian friends?

Bruce said...

There would be more positive memories, but the press drops them from their coverage as soon as they happen.

Happy doesn't sell newspapers or TV ad time.

My biggest "Where were you when...?" memories (other than those mentioned) are Princess Diana's death and President Reagan getting shot.

The MSM won't let us forget the bad stories.

ASM826 said...

There's always a chance that we will wake up in time to win this war and you will remember V-I Day.

willissmcquiston said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
于名于名 said...

good~ keep sharing with us, please....I will waiting your up date everyday!! Have a nice day........................................

惠佩政萍 said...

great msg for me, thanks a lot dude˙﹏˙

嘉容嘉容 said...

快樂,是享受工作過程的結果......................................................

裕以 said...

人類最大的悲劇不是死亡,而是沒有掌握有意義的人生 ..................................................

安琪 said...

sex女,ut,貼影,av,高潮,女優,做愛,手機成人影片,色遊戲,成人動漫,百分百貼圖區,85cc影片,成人影音,av色情影片,A片線上,a片,sex,777,三級線上看,美女的照片,視訊做愛,78論壇,打飛機,免費視訊,成人影院,辣妹視訊,視訊聊天,影片網,kiss911,a片,交友,聊天,做愛,免費影片,性交,線上成人,網路色情,聊天,美女自慰,免費a分享,免費短片,裸照,一夜情,女優,85cc成人片,美女寫真,偷拍a,情人視訊聊天室

90809eugeniopals said...

少壯不努力,老大徒傷悲。......................................................

ShilaLong0詩俊 said...

keep sharing with us, please....I will waiting your up date everyday!! Have a nice and relax day! ..................................................

文輝 said...

任何事都是由一個決心,一顆種子開始。..................................................

韋于倫成 said...

每一粒厄運的種子,卻包孕著未來豐盛的果實..................................................

文佩齊華 said...

成熟,就是有能力適應生活中的模糊。..................................................

宛AshleyRemley1218儒 said...

文章不求沽名釣譽,率性就是真的..................................................

tgibson said...

生存乃是不斷地在內心與靈魂交戰;寫作是坐著審判自己。..................................................

AlvaroLantz0智文 said...

婚姻對男人來說是賭他的自由,對女人而言卻是賭她的幸福。..................................................................

姜志銘 said...

人不能像動物一樣活著,而應該追求知識和美德.................................................................

怡文蔡 said...

人不能像動物一樣活著,而應該追求知識和美德....................................................................

清鴻 said...

成熟,就是有能力適應生活中的模糊。.................................................................

函松函松 said...

人生是故事的創造與遺忘。............................................................

陳湖 said...

蛛絲馬跡皆學問、落花水面皆文章............................................................

懿綺懿綺 said...

Share and share alike.............................................................

新順 said...

加油-不論如何都支持你............................................................

郭純行 said...

來塊巧克力吧~~心情會好哦~~............................................................

盈廖生家秀蔡 said...

你快d upday個blog啦~我等左好耐啦/_愛死呀ling之fans上 ..................................................................

吳婷婷 said...

Failure is the mother of success...................................................

原秋原秋 said...

真正仁慈的人,會忘記他們做過的善行,他們全心投入現在的工作,過去的事已被遺忘。..................................................

宮惠如宮惠如 said...

Practice makes perfect...................................................

RicoLisi0802志竹 said...

愛情是一種發明,需要不斷改良。只是,這種發明和其他發明不一樣,它沒有專利權,隨時會被人搶走。.................................................................

韋陳富 said...

知識可以傳授,智慧卻不行。每個人必須成為他自己。. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

建葉葉輝 said...

工作,是愛的具體化~~~~努力吧!........................................

建邱勳 said...

耐心是一株很苦的植物,但果實卻很甜美。..................................................

謝俊林奕宏宏 said...

工作,是愛的具體化~~~~努力吧!........................................

韋陳富 said...

雖天地之大,萬物之多,而惟吾蜩翼之知。..................................................

岳萱祥萱祥萱祥仲 said...

天氣慢慢轉涼囉~要保重! ..................................................................

翊翊翊翊張瑜翊翊翊 said...

生存乃是不斷地在內心與靈魂交戰;寫作是坐著審判自己。............................................................

孫邦柔 said...

這一生中有多少人擦肩而過?而朋友是多麼可貴啊!......................................................................

王辛江淑萍康 said...

Learning makes life sweet.......................................................................